I was browsing through Pinterest and lasagna soup came up in the feed. This sounded so good to me on this rainy day! I started searching through all of the lasagna soup recipes and combined a few of my favorite parts into this lasagna soup. So simple. Make this one for a quick meal on a cold night.
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. Italian sausage
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
32 oz. chicken broth
1 – 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 – 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried)
3/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 Tbs. sugar
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
10 lasagna noodles
1 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely shredded
8 oz. ricotta cheese
1. Start water to boil with a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions. You can cut into bite-sized pieces at this time or after cooking.
2. Meanwhile, pour a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a large cook pot (I use a Dutch oven) and fry ground beef and sausage until there is no longer any pink in the meat. Remove meat and set aside.
3. Add onions and garlic to pot. You may need to add a little olive oil. Saute until softened.
4. Add cooked ground meat, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and all spices. Simmer over low heat.
5. Your lasagna noodles should be done. Cut into bite-sized pieces if you haven’t already. Add to your cook pot. At this time you may want to add some lasagna noodle water (about a cup) to cook pot to reach desired consistency of your soup. Let simmer until nice and hot.
6. In a medium bowl, mix together shredded mozzarella, shredded parmesan, and ricotta cheeses. Add a few tablespoons of chopped parsley or basil to the mixture, if desired.
7. Serve soup in shallow bowls with a dollop or two of the cheese mixture on top.