1 cup vegetable oil (or substitute 1 cup applesauce instead of the oil)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups shredded zucchini
zest of 2 lemons (reserve 1 tsp. lemon zest for glaze)
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. dried lavender, chopped finely (optional)
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare 2 loaf pans with cooking spray and a dusting of flour. Alternatively, you can make six mini loaves. I love the mini paper loaf containers if I’m giving them away. Check the packaging on the mini paper loaf containers for prepping instructions. Mine didn’t need spray nor flour.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and lavender buds. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs until smooth. Add oil (or applesauce) and sugar until smooth. Add buttermilk, zucchini, lemon zest (minus reserved 1 tsp.) and lemon juice. Mix well.
4. Slowly add dry mixture into the batter until thoroughly combined.
5. Pour batter into your prepared loaf pans.
6. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
While loaves are cooling, prepare the glaze.
For the glaze: Add powdered sugar, lemon juice, milk and lemon zest together.
Drizzle over each loaf. Let cool before serving.
Note about shredding zucchini: I use a spiralizer made by Veggiespize. I like that it has an easy-to-use hand crank and it has three interchangeable blades. I use the shredding blade that makes noodles like angel hair pasta.