There have been setbacks and there have been some gloomy days. It took a new project manager to really get this little farmhouse back on track and I am now the number one priority of the company, or so they say. It’s about time!
See the dusting of snow? Believe it or not, the weather has not been the cause of the delays. After the concrete foundation was poured and the framers showed up and began framing, it was clear that the subcontractor who was hired to put in the concrete foundation did such a poor job that the homebuilder actually said they couldn’t continue and had to bulldoze the whole thing. Yep, the house and barn were completely bulldozed and hauled off to the dump. It was a terrible setback. Even though I would not have to pay for the re-do, I was pretty upset. The build was already extremely far behind for a variety of reasons and excuses. Let’s just say that it took five months to get to this point. Ugh.
Much better. This was a solid, level pour. The forms came off and the lumber arrived and ready for the framers. In the mix, the excavators had to come back and clean up what the bulldozers took out and had to re-do all of the excavation and drainage around the house and barn. All of this work has expanded the footprint and created a muddy mess.
The framers began to frame in the house.
Truss day! This is an exciting day because the trusses allow one to really start to see the shape of the house.
The roofers completed the entire roof in one morning. Amazing!
It figures that this barn/shop gets the most attention. Most of the male visitors want this barn. I don’t blame them. It’s one heck of a barn and super tall for drying all that lavender.
So, windows are in, plumbing is done (with showers/baths installed), gas is done, electrical is partially roughed in, cabinet maker has measured for cabinets and fireplace has been installed. I had to refuse the exterior doors, twice. The first time they came unwrapped and were completely covered in mud. The second time they delivered in an enclosed truck. However, two of the French doors fell over inside the truck onto the other two French doors in transit. Glass everywhere and I had to refuse the doors, again.
In the meantime, I have been working on the property. This slice of heaven was once pasture and has extremely furtile soil and no rocks. Seriously, I have not found a single rock. Lots of digging and prepping for the lavender fields. I also decided to add a little kidney-shaped hill for some interest. I had 16 yards of soil brought in and Blueberry Hill was born. Three crabapple trees (above) and four blueberry bushes call it home so far. Along the street and outside of the white fence, 16 cherry trees (8 Rainier and 8 Bing) were planted and 48 lavender bushes (Royal Velvet Lavender) were planted. Cubby (Cadet) has been mowing, limbing up trees near the creek and moving lots of dirt.
It’s a sunny and beautiful morning and my job today is to finish cleaning up the street and start to hack out brush toward some hidden and neglected mature fruit trees along the creek. When I first moved here, I found two cherry (one tart and one sweet), a pear, an unknown, and two apples completely covered in blackberry bushes. When everything went dormant for the winter, I discovered a plum and a few other unmarked fruit trees that I need to clear from the pesky blackberries. I’ll have to share with you all the 10-foot crazy and invasive blackberries overgrown along the creek. Debbie vs. Blackberries. It should be interesting.
Happy Sunday, y’all!