4 onions, sliced
8 oz. Gruyere cheese
4 oz. Parmigiano cheese, grated
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
2 qts. beef broth
- Place onions in a heavy-bottomed pot with 2 Tbs. of olive oil. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until translucent.
- Meanwhile, slice baguette into 1/2-inch rounds. Lightly brush slices with olive oil on both sides and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, turn baguettes and bake another 10 minutes.
- Shave 2 oz. of Gruyere cheese (for the bottom) and set aside. Grate the rest of the Gruyere. In a bowl, combine the Gruyere and Parmigiano cheese.
- Remove lid from onions, turn up the heat to medium-high to carmelize onions, stirring continuously. Add 2 Tbs. butter and 2 Tbs. flour to make a roux. Add 2 cups beef broth and whisk until flour is completely dissolved. Add the remaining beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Line ramekins with shaved Gruyere crutons and ladle soup on top. Top with