This recipe produces a bagel that will rival any bagel you might buy on Saturday morning at your local coffee shop. You will be very surprised at how easy it is to make delicious made-to-order bagels with your favorite toppings.
4 1/2 cups bread flour
3 tsp. active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
3 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. fleur de sel salt
Optional: 1 cup honey
Toppings: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dehydrated onion, garlic, cinnamon, or your favorite
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Warm 2 cups of water (120°) and add to dry ingredients. Stir together until mixed into a firm, smooth dough. If you’re using an KitchenAid, mix with dough hook for 3 minutes. Let dough rise until doubled (approx. 1 hour). Punch dough down and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare two large baking sheets with parchment paper or cornmeal.
- Start a heavy-bottom pot of water to boil.
- Divide dough into 12 equal balls. Dip your finger into a small bowl of flour and push into the middle of the dough ball and stretch a little or twirl dough ball on your finger to make a bagel shape. Place all bagel shapes onto a piece of parchment paper on your countertop.
- Optional: Add honey to your boiling water. [The honey adds a nice, sweet crust but not overpowering. However, you can use plain water.]
- Using a slotted spoon or spatula, lower a bagel into the boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes. Turn the bagel over in the boiling water and boil for another 2 minutes. Remove bagel and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or corn meal. Sprinkle toppings onto bagel.
- After all bagels are prepared on baking sheet, bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until golden brown, rotating your baking sheets after 10 minutes.