I’ll just start by saying I love The Pioneer Woman. Her website is usually the first I visit for a recipe. I was looking for something similar to my mom’s macaroni salad. Here’s a link to PW’s recipe. I basically followed her recipe, however, I made a few adjustments (more like Mom’s). If you like a macaroni salad with some color and a bit of something extra in every bite, try this one out.
Summertime Macaroni Salad
4 cups elbow macaroni
3/4 cup of black olives, chopped fine
1/2 red onion, chopped fine
2 celery ribs, chopped fine
3/4 cup sweet pickles, chopped fine
4 hard-boiled eggs, diced
3/4 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
2 Tbs. distilled vinegar
4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper, or more as needed
extra pickle juice from jar to taste
1. Cook the macaroni in lightly salted water according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside.
2. Mix together mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Place cooked macaroni in a large bowl and pour 3/4 of the dressing over the macaroni. Toss and add more dressing if needed. (Dressing will seem a little thin, but it will thicken up as salad chills.)
4. Stir in olives, onion, pickles and celery.
5. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with celery leaf.
Note: Just go with what you think as far as the ingredients to get the desired consistency you like. This recipe is just a guideline.